We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our site. By continuing to use the site you agree to our use of cookies. Accept

Teaching In England with Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa


Have you considered living and teaching in England? There are teaching jobs available across England, so taking a career-focused decision to kick start your career in a British school is a great plan. Especially when jobs are hard to come by in Canada!

The British government encourages Canadian teachers to teach in the UK by offering a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme Visa. Canadian citizens aged 18-30 can apply and allows a stay of up to 2 years in the UK.

ALWAYS seek the most up to date information, when you apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme Visa by checking on the UK official visa site.

You can also watch our video about applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa here.

You can only get the YMS visa once. It is important you go at the right time, get the right support and secure the best possible teaching role. That is where we come in.

At Teach in, you are our number one concern. We have established real and ongoing partnerships with whole counties in England. Our choice of schools and locations are truly diverse and your support and transition is structured and effective.


Are you eligible for a Youth Mobility Scheme Visa?

  • If you are between 18- 30 years and a Canadian National and have no children and no serious criminal background, you can apply for a Youth Mobility Scheme Visa.
  • However if you are married to someone who is not eligible for the visa, you are also not eligible.
  • You can stay for up to 2 years and you can only get this visa once in your life!

Sydney Registration Day

How much is the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa?

  • The visa cost is £244, and you pay at the time of your online visa application.
  • You also must pay £600 which is an Immigration Health Surcharge which buys you 2 years of free health care while you are in the UK It is all bulk billed- Dr, Hospital etc..

Proof of Funds

  • In order to apply for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa, you must show proof in the form of an original bank statement, that you have the equivalent of £1,895 in your bank account. It must have been there for at least a month before you apply.
  • They must be ‘ready funds’, so not in a high yield savings account and the account must be in your name.

When should I apply?

  • You can apply up to 6 months before you plan to arrive in the UK and the application takes about 3 weeks to process.
  • If you have to get one in a rush, there is a fast track service, at an additional cost.
  • You will nominate the date you want to arrive and the postcode in the UK. You will pick your Biometric Residence Permit in the first week after you arrive.
  • If you need a postcode, we can help.

find out how you can teach in the UK at the Calgary education careers fair


How do I apply?

  • You apply online for the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa.


  • You must register for an account, sign in and then apply.
  • After you have completed the online application, paid the fee and immigration health surcharge, you need to book a Biometric appointment. You will be asked to select a city and time.

Biometric Appointment

  • At the appointment, bring your ID and supporting documents and you will be asked to have your fingers scanned and a photograph taken.
  • They will collect your documents, and the processing time is about 3 weeks.
  • You will receive a decision letter and Vignette sticker in your passport in the post, which is your right to enter the UK. After you arrive you must pick up your Biometric Residence Permit.

Biometric Residence Permit

  • Collect your BRP once you’re in the UK.
  • You must do this before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later.

Check your decision letter. It will tell you to collect your BRP from:

  • A named Post Office branch

If you are a teacher or teacher aide planning to live and teach in England, we will help you with your visa. We will also make sure you have a great job and are compliant to work in British schools. It is a free service.

Register for more information or to get started.