10 apps to download when moving to London
Moving to a new country or city such as London can be exciting and a little nerve racking at the same time, especially when you first arrive. We have put together a great list of apps you should download prior to arrival to help navigate you way through London life.
Apps to help with Transport
- Google Maps – Maybe an obvious one but Google Maps is a big help when trying to navigate your way around London. Plug in the destination you are wanting to travel to and it will provide you with different route options for different modes of transport.
- City Mapper – Similar to Google Maps, it’s another app that is going to help with directions. We have found this to be a little easier to use than Google Maps, as it is focused on public transport. You can select walking, cycling or public transport. There is also a ‘rain-free’ option which is super helpful as we know how much it rains in London!
- Tube Map – The London Underground Tube network is huge, so it is always handy to have the tube map in your pocket for reference. It also provides updates on service disruptions.
Apps to help with Finance/Money
- TransferWise– A great app to send money internationally. If you are wanting to send Aussie/Canadian/Kiwi dollars into your new UK bank account we recommend TransferWise. Very simple to use, great exchange rates and low fee compared to transferring using your bank.
- Monzo/Starling – Two fantastic online banks. We recommend using one of these banks when opening an account in the UK. More information on both banks can be found here.
Apps to help with Accommodation
- Spareroom – This app will help in your search for accommodation. You will find stacks of rooms and houses for rent. You can filter to factor in budget, location, if the room is furnished or not and you can even filter the age of people you want to live with. When you find a place you like, contact the person advertising the room via the app for a viewing.
Apps for Fun
- Dusk –This app has put together a list of bars offering free drinks! All you need to do is download the app, locate a bar offering free drinks near you on the map and show the bartender, who will then redeem the offer. Dusk allows you one free drink per day in any given bar as well as discounts for further sales.
- TodayTix – One for the theatre fans. TodayTix is an app for purchasing same-day and same-week theatre tickets at discounted prices. A visit to London’s West End is a must so this app will definitely come in handy.
- TimeOut – This app will keep you up to date with all that is happening in London. You will find information on gigs, events, bars, restaurants, club nights, film releases and much more.
- MatchPint – For those into sports, MatchPint will direct you to which games are being televised in which pub. The UK are football mad so be sure to pick a Premier League side to support!